Friday, June 16, 2006

Genetics of Entrepreneurship

Always wondering how to explain what seems to be an aberrant tolerance for ambiguity (if not risk) successful entrepreneurs, I was intrigued by a theory by Dr. John Gartner of Johns Hopkins University.

The theory, delineated in Dr. Garnter's new book, Hypomanic Edge, suggests that entrepreneurs (and political leaders) are genetically predisposed to their professions.

My curiousity is peaked, particularly by the suggestion that many entrepreneurs or their parents were first generation immigrants who demonstrated "hypomania" by moving to a strange land to start new lives (and the implications for public policy).

I don't know if I'll get around to reading the book anytime soon (my reading list is looooong), but I'd love to eventually make my way to the book. Particularly because Dr. Gartner is making his way around large corporations helping them to take advantage of the "Hypomaniac Edge." The phrase may very well become a part of the entrepreneurial vernacular.

I'm interested in learning more about the application of the theory to entrepreneurs-at-large (rather than those of the highest profiles) and in better understanding the specific traits that "personify" hypomania.

Also, does this mean that successful entrepreneurship cannot be learned? How much of a role do genetics play in determining success? What is the correlation when the sample size is larger? Maybe the book explain this... .

If anyone reads the book, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.